2014 Region One Conference
SNMA Members and Supporters,
It is my pleasure to announce that registration for the 2014 Region 1 Medical Education Conference is open! I invite high school students, college students, medical students, and medical professionals to join us at the Hilton Garden Inn's Mead/Mohave Conference Center on October 25th in Henderson, Nevada. The Region 1 Board, comprised of medical and undergraduate students from 14 different schools in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Nevada, is excited to present various workshops and presentations on global health, current issues in medicine, clinical and diagnostic skills, and more.
This year, our conference theme is "Taking Charge in a Dynamic Healthcare Landscape." Together, we will explore the different ways SNMA can help communities understand and take advantage of all the changes occurring in medicine today, from navigating the Affordable Care Act and it's impact on women, children, and minorities, to the push towards medical homes and the importance of primary care, to the changing face of medical education with novel three year programs. Please join us in the discussion as we spend the day together.
Check back soon for detailed information on conference logistics!
Yours in SNMA,
Marc Parris, Regional Director
Below are our list of hotels with special rates for this conference. Please use the links provided below to book your accomodation at a discounted rate.
1. Hilton Garden Inn Henderson - Conference Location
The closes airport to the conference is McCarran International Airport which is about 7.2 miles from the Hilton Garden Inn.
Our Keynote Speaker has been confirm as Dr. Vanessa Grubbs from UCSF. Dr. Vanessa Grubbs is a UCSF assistant professor and nephrologist based at San Francisco General Hospital. She completed her undergraduate and medical studies at Duke University before completing an internal medicine residency at the Alameda County Medical Center and a nephrology fellowship at UCSF. Dr. Grubbs also earned a Masters in Public Health from UC Berkeley in epidemiology.
- As part of our community service during the conference, Nichelle will be holding a free screening of the HBO documentary "The Weight of the Nation" on Friday evening at the Hilton Garden Inn. Click here for more information.
- Kaplan resources for the MCAT will be available. Our Workshops committee is dealing with the final details. We will also have mock interviews for pre-medical students, clinical workshops designed for medical students but available to all, and panels on dual degrees and the application process.
- There will be an opportunity to mingle with, network, and meet current SNMA members and other pre-medical students at a Saturday night social event in the city at Cosmic Bowling.
- There will be an exhibitor fair with confirmed attendance by PASS, Kaiser, Doctors in Training, OHSU, UC Davis, and UC San Diego.
- The first 50 conference attendees will receive free SNMA Region I gear and be eligible for a raffle for more goods at the end of the day (HBO documentary copy for one, Kaplan QBank hopefully as well).
- We will hold a SNMA membership drive at the conference! We will provide information on what it means to be a SNMA member and help people enroll in our online system.
Conference FeesStudent Regular Registration Exhibitor Regular